Curriculum Vitae - Olli Etuaho
I'm a multi-talented software developer with an eye for aesthetics.
- olli.etuaho at gmail.com
- 1986-05-25, Valkeakoski, Finland
- Hobbies and interests:
- drawing, art house cinema, tai chi, geocaching, Japanese culture
MS from Tampere University of Technology 2004-2012
- 2004-2007 Department of Science and Engineering - Basic studies including mathematics, physics and economics. However, after finding out what I really want to do, I switched to:
- 2007-2012 Department of Information Technology - Studies in software systems, computer science, hypermedia, and technical mathematics.
- 2009, Bachelor's Thesis: Data Structures and Applications of Work History in Bitmap Editors, graded 5 out of 5.
- 2012, Master's Thesis: Image Quality Metrics for Stochastic Rasterization, graded 4 out of 5.
Mathematics program at Päivölä Adult Education Institute / Valkeakoski High School for Adults 2002-2004
- Finnish: Laudatur
- English, long: Laudatur
- Mathematics, long: Laudatur
- Science: Laudatur
- Swedish: Magna cum laude approbatur
Comprehensive school 1993-2002.
System software engineer at NVIDIA Helsinki from 2011-09-05
- System software engineer, web and graphics technologies. I've developed web browsers running on NVIDIA's Tegra platform. Since 2013 I've concentrated on WebGL and Chromium.
Game developer at 10tons Ltd from 2008-05-19 to 2011-08-31
- I'm credited as lead programmer in three published projects built on 10tons' proprietary game framework: Two multi-platform casual games and one smaller iOS release.
- Besides programming, my responsibilities also included UI design, visual effects design and game design.
Non-military service at Päivölä Adult Education Institute from 2010-09-06 to 2011-08-05
- I assisted in teaching high-school level mathematics and computer science, helped staff in everyday comings and goings and developed intranet software.
Part-time graphics artist trainee at Nokia from 2002-09-02 to 2004-08-06
- I designed and drew graphics for multiple software projects ranging from desktop user interfaces to mobile game prototypes.
Voluntary work at the Anime and Manga Community Kupoli from 2003 to 2011:
- I participated in the affairs of the web community Kupoli since 2003, and acted as the vice chairman from the registration of the non-profit organization on 2008-08-11 until the beginning of 2011.
- Responsibilities ranged from organizing small events to web development.
In January 2016, my team's game placed 2nd out of 1638 games in the overall category in Ludum Dare 34 Jam.
In June 2015, my team's game won jammer's choice at EEK Game Jam.
In February 2011, my team's Global Game Jam game was chosen by Gamesauce to be among the ten global winners out of 1487 games. The game was also nominated for the Finnish Game Jam Best Game award.
- 2012: Image Quality Metrics for Stochastic Rasterization. Master's thesis, instructors Jaakko Lehtinen and Samuli Laine, examiner Tapio Elomaa. [Download PDF]
- 2010: KD-trees and Interactive Raytracing. Literature survey done for software science project course at TUT, instructor Antero Kangas. [Download PDF]
- 2009: Data Structures and Applications of Work History in Bitmap Editors / Työhistorian tietorakenteet ja sovelluskohteet bittikarttaeditorissa. Bachelor's thesis at TUT, instructor Mika Katara. [Download PDF in Finnish]
I've participated in the development of the WebGL standard and conformance test suite in collaboration with the WebGL working group, developed the shading language translator in ANGLE, and made a couple of dozen contributions to Chromium, and SceneJS. I'm maintaining a project called glbrush.js that implements GPU acceleration for painting applications in web browsers.
I'm fluent in Finnish and English and have also studied a bit of Swedish, German and Japanese.
I have a good command of C++ and Python, a working knowledge of flex/bison and a very wide and up-to-date understanding of front-end web technologies, ranging from the HTML and CSS standards to how vector rendering and WebGL are implemented in Chromium. I've used Django and jQuery frameworks in my web development efforts, though my latest personal project CooPaint has been written from scratch without relying on frameworks on the client side.
As part of my work, studies or in my free time, I've also dabbled with several other programming languages ranging from Java and ARM assembly to Haskell - and if necessary, I'm confident I'd be able to bring myself quickly up to speed in any given programming language excluding Malbolge.
I'm very familiar with iterative development and rapid prototyping, but I'm open to all sorts of project work methodologies.
Operating systems: I frequently work in both Windows and Ubuntu Linux.
IDEs: MS Visual Studio has been a familiar everyday tool for me, but I've also used several other IDEs.
Graphics software: I use Photoshop with ease, and have some 3D modeling experience in Blender and Sculptris.
Collaboration and documentation: git is my current version control system of choice, but leaner collaborative tools like Google Docs sometimes have their uses too.
Game development and art portfolios
Selected game projects I've participated in can be found at the Games page.
Some of my personal artwork is available at the art gallery.